Monday, August 07, 2006

Clap Louder... They Just Might Hear You

A recent development in the gradual decline of Western civilization concerns clapping in the movie theatre. I recently saw Talledaga Nights, and at the conclusion of the movie several members of the audience decided to clap (some while standing up) during the credits. Other people have confirmed the clapping phenomenon, and as far as we can tell, no one is there from the movie to hear the applause. I was raised to understand that one claps to show their appreciation to someone for doing something when they are in the room.

This is a truly baffling trend. I guess it does kind of seem like Will Farrell is there in the room, because he is on the screen, and maybe I just don't understand how movies work. Maybe there is a small microphone or something that detects applause and somehow transmits it to the actors' voicemail. Or maybe people are just dumb as shit. My choice of movie might have something to do with the applause, but the clapping has occured in more cerebral works, such as Million Dollar Baby and Capote. I can't really come up with a satisfactory explanation. Until then, I am forced to cross my fingers as the credits begin to roll.

1 Comments:

At August 12, 2006 at 9:24:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the whole clapping-at-the-movies thing either. Those people probably clap after every episode of Desperate Housewives too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home